If your teeth are crooked or if you have a misaligned bite, Dr. Jaime Rivera may recommend braces in El Paso, Texas. An orthodontic exam will be performed and our orthodontist will take impressions of your teeth, take photos of your teeth and face, and take X-rays of your mouth and head. Your treatment plan will be formed based on this information.
Braces use several components to apply continuous pressure over a period of time to move the teeth to their ideal positions. These components include:
– Orthodontic bands: These bands wrap around each tooth to anchor the brackets in place. They are not used for all patients. Some individuals have brackets and no bands.
– Brackets: Brackets are squares that are attached to the front of each tooth with orthodontic bands or bonding. The brackets hold the arch wires in place as that move the teeth.
– Arch Wires: These attach to the brackets and guide the teeth to their ideal positions.
– Ligatures: These tiny rubber bands hold the arch wires to the brackets.
– Elastics: Brackets have hooks that elastics or rubber bands are attached to to connect the upper and lower teeth in various ways. This applies pressure to the upper teeth against the lower teeth to achieve an ideal bite.
There are certain foods that you should avoid when wearing braces, including:
– Hard or difficult-to-bite foods
– Chewy foods
– Corn on the cob
– Hard pretzels, nuts, carrots, and popcorn
Also, do not chew bubble gum or ice.
We encourage you to contact Rivera Orthodontics today to learn more about orthodontics and to schedule a consultation.